When I try to combine my love of Tolkien with my love of science, things like this happen:
Click on image for full size (1200×762) version.
Guide to the Middle-earth elements:
1. Illuinium: the material from which Illuin, the lamp of Helcar, northern of the two Lamps of the Valar, was made. Illuinium is required to synthesize Telpirium.
2. Telpirium: element present in the Dew of Telperion, the Silver Tree of Valinor. Telpirium is required to synthesize the lunar material Tilium.
3. Tilium: the supernatural mineral from which the Island of the Moon is made.
4. Air: the clear gaseous ether that fills the Firmament and gives life.
14. Water: a clear liquid that fills the seas, floats in the air as clouds, and gives life.
23. Angainorium: the supernatural mineral from which the smith Aulë forged the chains used to bind Morgoth. Also called tilkal.
24. Copper: natural mineral from which Hobbits make kettles.
25. Iron: mineral used to create, amongst other things, the Iron Crown of Morgoth that bore the holy Silmarils.
26. Silver: a shiny mineral.
27. Gold: the metal from which Sauron forged the One Ring. Also used for dental fillings.
28. Galvorn: a shining black metal created by Eöl the Dark Elf in the First Age.
29. Mithril: a hard, silvery metal found only in the Mines of Moria. Used to make Frodo’s underwear.
33. Silmarilium: a supernatural gemstone created by Fëanor during the Years of the Trees; it can capture and re-emit the radiation produced by Telpirium and Laurelinium. Any Elf or Ainu who encounters Silmarilium is overcome with the desire to possess it.
34. Ruby: a red gemstone.
35. Sapphire: a ruby that isn’t red. Also, a stripper name.
36. Emerald: a green gemstone, and a symbol of Ireland. Tolkien once said Ireland was evil. So there’s that.
37. Diamond: a clear, hard gemstone. Also, Pippin’s wife.
38. Arkenium: a white gemstone found only under the Lonely Mountain. The Arkenstone of Thráin the Old is the only known example.
39. Elessarium: a green gemstone containing radiation from Arienium; created by Enerdhil of Gondolin in the First Age.
40. Palantium: a glassy, crystalline stone created by Fëanor in Valinor. When properly enchanted, a sphere of Palantium will show you clips from other parts of the movie, plus a great flaming vagina.
41. Ormalium: the material from which Ormal, the lamp of Ringol, southern of the two Lamps of the Valar, was made. Ormalium is required to synthesize Laurelinium.
42. Laurelinium: element present in the Dew of Laurelin, the Golden Tree of Valinor. Laurelinium is required to synthesize the solar material Arienium.
43. Arienium: the supernatural mineral from which the Vessel of the Sun is made.
44. Fire: a heat-bearing, radiating plasma; also phloogoism.Tags: Angainor, Arien, Arkenstone, Aulë, Diamond of Long Cleeve, Elessar (jewel), Fëanor, Galvorn, Humor, Illuin, Ireland, Laurelin, Mithril, Morgoth, Ormal, palantír, science, Silmarils, Telperion, Tilion