Originally published on JRR Tolkien Examiner on 7/22/09.
On October 9th and 10th, New York City’s Radio City Music Hall will host Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring with music performed live by a complete orchestra.
Howard Shore’s entire original score will be performed live, synchronized with the film. Maestro Ludwig Wicki will lead Switzerland’s 21st Century Orchestra, the Collegiate Chorale and the Brooklyn Youth Chorus.
The performance will accompany the 178-minute theatrical version of FotR.
Other LotR-themed events for the weekend include:
- • The official release of Doug Adams’ new book, The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films;
- • Pre-concert talks and post-concert signing sessions with Howard Shore and Doug Adams;
- • Discussion with Tolkien linguist David Salo, who translated the choral lyrics for score;
- • A talk by illustrator Colleen Doran, who was featured in the documentary Ringers;
- • And a fan discussion of the upcoming production of The Hobbit.
The producers of the event have arranged for discount rates for attendees at the Park Central Hotel in midtown Manhattan.
Tickets are still available through the Radio City Music Hall web site, and run from $54 to $150. .